Old 08-01-2013, 05:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens
Paul Drahn Paul Drahn is offline

Default Scotch Broom & Spanish Broom removal tips

On 1/8/2013 12:33 AM, Danny D. wrote:
On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 20:15:22 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

Do you have any good tricks (like the one we already have for Scotch
Broom) for removing Spanish Broom in the wet winters?

Here for the record is how I removed the scotch& spanish broom.

1. The task was to weed about an acre of these weeds:

2. I first got below the weed on the hillside& grasped low:

3. Then I pulled DOWNWARD with all my strength, always downhill:

4. With the ground saturated by rain, the weeds came out:

5. As predicted, the Spanish Broom was the hardest to pull:

6. Some of the plant roots were as thick as a fat thumb:

7. However most of the thousand of plants pulled had thin roots:

8. And now the muddy hillside is devoid of the weed plants:

The plants with thin roots are rather new seedlings. You will continue
to have new seedlings for years to come. Just keep after them and
eventually the plague will go away.

Paul