Old 08-01-2013, 07:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens
Danny D.[_3_] Danny D.[_3_] is offline

Default Scotch Broom & Spanish Broom removal tips

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 08:46:07 -0800, Paul Drahn wrote:

The plants with thin roots are rather new seedlings. You will continue
to have new seedlings for years to come. Just keep after them and
eventually the plague will go away.

I agree with you!

In fact, two years ago, I cleared an acre of the Scotch Broom
and Spanish Broom with a chain saw (the Spanish Broom was up
to 6 inches thick or so and 15 feet tall or so).

The Spanish Broom came back with a vengeance, especially as
it sprouted around the cut stumps.

Then I learned you must paint with glyphosate (e.g., Roundup)
within five minutes of cutting.

That stopped the recidivists.

Then I learned that the seeds can remain viable for 100 years!

Wow. No wonder the invasive broom species took over the land!

I'd like to strangle the guy who brought them into this country!