Old 10-01-2013, 10:40 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens
Danny D.[_3_] Danny D.[_3_] is offline

Default Scotch Broom & Spanish Broom removal tips

On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 01:01:37 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 21:44:12 +1300, Eric Stevens wrote:

You have to get in quickly with the cut stumps. I don't know the time
for poison oak but within 2 or 3 minutes is not unusual. When you cut a
stump it first oozes sap and then the flow reverses. If you don't get in
by that stage there will be nothing to suck the glyphosphate back into
the stump. Leaving it that late is too late.

Aha!

That explains why I failed to eradicate Spanish Broom on my property
in addition to the Poison Oak.

Recently I learned you need to apply the glyphosate within minutes
of chainsawing the Spanish Broom.

I never knew why - and - I thought it was specific to Spanish Broom.

From what you're saying, it's the way plants work.