Old 21-01-2013, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Replacing Steps in Steep garden

On 21/01/2013 14:30, Melross wrote:
Hi I have a very steep hillside garden in Shropshire and have to replace
many of the original steps as they have collasped. We are thinking
about replacing them with old railway sleepers, but still unsure whether
this is the right choice. Any ideas as to what might be the best
solution. As I say it is a very steep, woodland garden with many steps!

Railway sleepers and wood in general when wet can be very slippy.
How steep is step? My front garden is about 1:3 in places.

I favour stone steps, flagstones or concrete ones. I have some of each.
The utilitarian solution is using concrete cast in place.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown