Old 21-01-2013, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Replacing Steps in Steep garden

On 21/01/2013 14:30, Melross wrote:
Hi I have a very steep hillside garden in Shropshire and have to replace
many of the original steps as they have collasped. We are thinking
about replacing them with old railway sleepers, but still unsure whether
this is the right choice. Any ideas as to what might be the best
solution. As I say it is a very steep, woodland garden with many steps!

Try entering "rustic steps" into Google Images. You will see lots of
pics of steps in various 'rustic' situations. This should help you
decide on a style you like. If you happen to like a style that is not
as steep as your slope, see whether you can adapt it by adding in a
landing and having two shorter sections of steps. This would also ease
your journey up and down the slope if it is particularly precipitous.
Will you need a handrail? Consider future weeding if the steps are to
be mainly gravel, bark or earth. A narrow path is easier to keep
weed-free simply because wear on it is greater. However, a wider path
is easier for two to navigate together.

It is worth thinking ahead. If, in the future, you think a hillside
water feature would be attractive, plan in some of the plumbing and
wiring now that might be required later. Or plumb in a simple standpipe
so that you don't have to carry water up hill for irrigation.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London