Old 22-01-2013, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Replacing Steps in Steep garden

In article ,
Roger Tonkin wrote:
In article ,
says...

The first two pictures show the steps to our gardens. Now I am well aware
that this is not steep, but could the same principle be used, but the bricks
on end instead of on their side and filled between the steps with gravel?

I would be very, very wary of using gravel on paths in
the garden. Definitely not in a veg garden, where you
walk with muddy boots, the gravel sticks and ends up
where you dont want it, mud falls from the
boots/wheelbarrow etc and encourages weeds to grow in
the gravel.

I agree about gravel, but hoggin is fine. You want something that
compacts. Another approach that works well is bricks - you can
often get lots of used ones cheaply, and it doesn't matter if they
break up over time. Of course, using proper paving bricks on a
proper base is better, but more expensive and harder work - and
few people need their steps to last for centuries!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.