Old 24-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Susan H. Simko

Default Keeping a Messy Garden

Vox Humana wrote:

Funny, but I have been referred to as a Lawn Nazi. I'm not sure why. I
have very small lawn in the front that I do try to keep orderly. I mow once
a week, run the edger and string trimmer, and water when it needs it. The
back lawn has more weeds than grass. There are at least three mole hills
out there right now. I see others who spend far more time on their lawns
than I do, but they do stupid things that cause more harm than good. There
are people who roll their lawns every springs. Then there are the people
who have the lawn services that drench the turn with chemicals every few
weeks. I guess that because my lawn looks better than theirs, they must
assume that I spend more time and effort than they do. It is amazing how
much good an inch of water does in August as opposed to 50 pounds of turf
builder with Haltz in April.

Reminds me of the conversation I had with my neighbor last night. She
was bemoaning the fact that our yard looked better than hers and she
paid a service a lot of money to get hers in better shape. *laugh*
That's the exact reason why I refuse to pay anyone to do anything with
my yard. It doesn't take much and it certainly doesn't need the heavy
amount of chemicals they put down to get it to look decent. All I do is
seed, put down some fertilizer and lime and occasionally I strap on my
aerating sandals and take a stroll through the yard.

Last night she was putting down major amounts of weed and feed
fertilizer. I told her that I won't do that because at least the weeds
are green and without them I would have major bare patches. I'm trying
to eliminate bare patches not create more. Thank goodness her property
is downhill from mine though I do wonder what the neighbors on the other
side (downhill) of her are going to think....

Like I said before, I love of beds with tons of flowers and no dirt to
be seen. The mess and profusion of colours make me happy everytime I
look at them.

Susan
s h simko at duke dot edu = real email address