Old 17-02-2013, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pete C[_2_] Pete C[_2_] is offline

Default Copper & slugs

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Pete C" wrote
wrote in message
is it ok to put a little piece of copper wire round a plant's stem to
keep them off? Or would it kill the plant? I've got some fruit bushes
to protect.

Not sure of the answer to your question, but......whilst copper will
deter slugs at first, once it oxidises it doesn't work very well.

I would be concerned about the effect on the water uptake of the plant,
they use copper wire or similar to make damp proof courses using the
osmotic effect.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Will copper around the stem arrest its growth ?

I'm off:, Bill

Ahh, you must be 'old bill'?
--
Pete C