Old 19-02-2013, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Copper & slugs

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 11:40:36 +0000, Fuschia
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 11:46:13 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Saturday, February 16, 2013 11:57:26 PM UTC, wrote:

is it ok to put a little piece of copper wire round a plant's stem to keep them off? Or would it kill the plant? I've got some fruit bushes to protect.
NT

Thanks everyone. a ring on the ground probably won't work. I'll probably use a slip of wet & dry sandpaper and a rubber band.

A ring on the ground certainly *does* work, very effectively.
The slugs avoid our protected plants and devour similar plants without
the copper. It only works for one season, until the copper goes green,
so we use fresh wire each year.

Missed beginning of thread, sorry.
I tried copper sticky-tape round pots one year. Was told to put 2
strips round each pot. I found a snail sitting on a pot between the
two pieces of tape and assumed it didn't work. I later read that the
bands of tape need to be close enough together so that the slug/snail
touches the second while still in contact with the first. This is what
gives them the shock and makes them recoil.

Pam in Bristol