Old 24-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Anne Lurie

Default Dividing Nandina

The posts about diving & sharing plants brought up a question: What do I do
with the "baby Nandina" plants that don't seem to have grown over the past 3
or 4 years?

I hadn't gotten around to dealing with the Nandina babies, as there's always
plenty to do on my near-acre -- but I was discussing them with a longtime
friend who's also a gardener; the plants haven't grown noticeably in the
last 3 or 4 years, and I wondered if that wasn't because they're still
attached to the mother plant & sending all their energy back that way?
(Sorry for the rather "New Age" description, but words fail me -- just
this once!)

The two of us decided that I should try using a sharp spade to cut between
the mother Nandina and the baby plants, but not dig anything up. If the
little plants survived, I'd dig them up & transplant them this fall/winter.

Anyone have any hints? I'm more than willing to share the plants, but
they're won't be that many, so I'll post if I have some to share.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh