Old 12-04-2013, 01:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Are there virus resistant squash seeds? Virus killing my squash!

Red said:

That probably explains my squash problem. I plant yellow and zucchini
squash and the yellow type dies before producing and the zucchini dies
after a couple of pickings. I also had been planting nearby wild
flowers (+catnip?) to attract bees for pollination and to draw insects
out of the garden, but I may well have been providing a storage source
for the MV. Our honey bees are gone and other type bees, except for
the darn carpenters, are few so I thought an attractant might be
beneficial but may be a hindrance.

Do you live where squash vine borers occur? Summer squash (or any
of the short-vined 'bush' type winter squash) are extremely vulnerable to
them, and will typically go into a rapid decline just when they begin to
flower or shortly after. They may show signs of other diseases as they
die, but the borers are ultimately responsible for the decline.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored