Old 15-04-2013, 12:34 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jeßus[_2_] Jeßus[_2_] is offline

Default Possums!!!

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 03:07:27 +0000 (UTC), (Dick
Adams) wrote:

Je?us wrote:
Anyway, what I really want to find out is - how high can a possum jump
from ground level? I reckon the only way I can keep my fruit orchard
possum free is to build a corrugated iron fence around the whole
orchard, then a large frame over the lot and cover with bird netting -
this should keep all birds and possums out. The fence will have other
benefits, too, such as keeping the wind out and providing a new pen
for poultry.

Netting should effective on birds, but I doubt it will not be effective
against a possum that gets over your fence. You should trim or remove
trees within 3 meters of your fence so a possum can't jump from a tree
onto your netting.

NOTE: A possum is a rabbit that lives in a tree and should be given
the same respect with which we treat rabbits. Eradication!

What are the laws on trapping possums? If legal, it should be less
expensive than the cost of the fence. I have two Rabbit traps and
catch 3 to 4 rabbits a day - more on the weekend when I have time to
reset the traps more often.

The only question is how high to build the fence, anyone have any
ideas on that?

G'day my local MP's namesake,

Just to be clear, I'm referring to Australian possums...

Yes, bird netting isn't much defense but I would be able to build a
corrugated iron fence around all 33 trees - just need to work out how
high to build the fence... there is no way they could climb up the
corrugated iron, but could jump over it if not high enough...

Then, either bird wire or netting over the top of the lot, sitting on
a framework. That's the plan anyway...

Given a large possum is 30 cm, I doubt they could jump over a 1 meter
fence. But they could climb it if they could sink their nails into
the fence.

Hmm. Come to think of it, it may be they don't seem to like to jump
vertically from the ground... at least when I think about which trees
have sustained damage around the property, all have had posts or
fences nearby making climbing easy.

Cheers