Old 15-04-2013, 11:48 AM posted to aus.gardens
anm anm is offline

Default Possums!!!

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 08:38:16 +1000, Jeßus wrote:

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 15:47:45 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

The possum of Oz is fearsome opponent, the sight of a net will make it
want to chew holes and the sight of a fence will make it want to climb.
They do both very well. Unless your fence is smooth metal that has no
grip for strong little claws I would be running an electric wire on
standoffs to deter it.

Yep, which is why I want to use corrugated iron, with the fence
framework and posts on the *inside* of the orchard. There's no way they
could climb up corrugated iron.

If they get to the bird net they will get in. In a tree they can jump
quite a distance, a metre or more I guess, whether they would jump from
ground to mesh over a gal iron fence I have no idea.

That's what I need to find out - how high can the buggers jump
vertically off the ground? There is plenty of clear space around the
orchard so they won't be able to jump from another object either.

How far can a possum jump?
http://treelogic.com.au/facts/2007/11/possums-trees/

Not having possum problems, had a quiet chuckle at this one, though I can
understand the frustration.
See last sentence also; may be some value in contact?
http://anpsa.org.au/APOL2007/may07-1.html

Apparently 5 varieties of possum in Tassie
http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=4867

HTH. Good luck with your trials and tribulations. Trust you can find a
possum friendly solution.