Old 18-04-2013, 06:18 AM
thomaspoul's Avatar
thomaspoul thomaspoul is offline
Registered User

Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeßus[_2_] View Post
Yes, those damned possums... a never-ending battle here.
My poor fruit trees and silver birches in particular have taken a
hammering this year.

One thing I have found effective is a mixture of lard and kero - I
wiped some around my young silver birches trunks (and any nearby
posts) and 6 months later, no further damage thus far.
But I can't do that to every tree, of course.

Anyway, what I really want to find out is - how high can a possum jump
from ground level? I reckon the only way I can keep my fruit orchard
possum free is to build a corrugated iron fence around the whole
orchard, then a large frame over the lot and cover with bird netting -
this should keep all birds and possums out. The fence will have other
benefits, too, such as keeping the wind out and providing a new pen
for poultry.

The only question is how high to build the fence, anyone have any
ideas on that?

Thanks.
Agreed to you, these little possums are looking innocent but they are very danger for crop.