Old 25-04-2003, 04:20 AM
Timothy

Default Mowing wet grass?

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 22:45:18 +0000, Charles P. Woolever wrote:

They may WANT to cut in the rain to preserve profit, but as a homeowner or
office park landlord, I don't want my lawn to look like crap. Basically
the guys zip by at full throttle, pouring rain. The grass is not clumpy
afterwards because I think very little was even cut. Ona dry day, the
sidewalks are covered until they come by and blow it off. On a wet day,
the sidewalks have almost no grass on them.

So far as the difficulty in catching up for the week, my preference would
be if my lawns are cut on Tuesday and it's pouring, skip the week
completely and start again next week. Now that does cut into profit.

Trust me I didn't want to cut in the rain today!!!! Freakin' soaked to the
bone but it had to be done. If I was to skip this week, next week would be
total hell. Your lawn would look like total hell before next week's mow not to
mention that you would get charged for two mows anyhow. Why get charged
for two mows next week? Because I would have to mow it twice to get back
to the right heigth. You mention that they are not getting grass all over
the sidewalks when it's wet out, there is a reason for this. Have you ever
tried to clean up wet clipping before? It's hard!! Wet grass doesn't blow
away well at all. The lawn boys are taking a little extra time not to get
grass everywhere ( as in not running mowers over concrete..ect) so they
don't have to spend all day cleaning up after themselves. When it's dry,
the grass gets thrown about alot and the lawn boys are not being careful
about their messes.
As far as them flying by at full throttle. when you go out and spend
7000.00 dollars for a 48 inch mower... It damn well better mow up wet
grass at full throttle with little to no mess! When you spend a 1000.00
dollars for a 21 inch mower it better mow with no mess ... rain or shine.

As far as you preference of being skipped, good luck finding a company
that will do that and not double charge you for the next mow. You may need
to stick with the kid next door for your lawn servicing, sure he won't
mind working for free......
good luck in all your lawn adventures.....

--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com