Old 25-04-2003, 06:56 AM
mindmeld

Default Snail Control

My yo-yo loaches ate all the snails (_physa_) but two that are managing to stay
above the water line. the loaches also ate the eggs.

also, this site has some nice information and options:
http://www.tomgriffin.com/aquamag/snail.html#_edn1

AcH

redled wrote:

OK, I can't pick out the pond snails by hand anymore. Here is the
situation: heavily planted 55 gallon community tank. The smallest things
in it are amano shrimp and pygmy cories (1"). I need something to control
the snails, prefereably something that won't eat those guys I just
mentioned. Also, I have a large ramshorn snail I'd like to keep and
hundreds of MTS that I would really like to keep (I think the population is
healthy enough that It would be hard to get rid of them, though.) Now,
here are the best ideas that I've come up with:
1) Lots of ghost shrimp. Will these eat snail eggs?
2) Some kind of small loach. I'm having a hard time finding specific
references to non-clown loaches abilities to do this. How are kuhlie
loaches?
3) Dwarf puffers. Actaully I had them, but I like to take every
oppurtunity I can to say these are NOT community fishies, unless you really
know what you're doing. There's not many good tankmates for these guys.
4) Any other ideas? I'm open to anything.
Anyways, thanks in advance