Old 01-06-2013, 03:25 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Adding Small Amount of Gas with 2 Cyle Oil Mix to Gas for Lawnmower

On May 31, 11:47*pm, songbird wrote:
wrote:
songbird wrote:
wrote:
Hi,

* * * I recently got rid of my gas powered weed wacker. *I plan on buying a
36V rechargeable weed wacker.

* * *I have a quart of gas with 2 cycle engine oil mixed. * I want to get rid
of this gas. *Is it harmful to pour a little of this gas into my lawn mower
gas?

* * * * * * *Thank You in advance, *John N3AOF

* no, don't do it.

* if you have a neighbor who can use it give it
to them. *know the mix-ratio so they don't destroy
their equipment.

* else, dump it in the used oil you are returning
to be recycled. *no need to burn it or dump it out.
let it be recycled.

Dump gasoline into recycled oil?

* they send it back through a refinery, the
gasoline will be cracked/boiled off again and
the remaining fractions will separate as
usual (giving oil, tars, etc.).

And you don't think the procedures, storage requirements,
handling are different for highly flammable substances like
gasoline vs car waste oil?

* You might want to check with
whoever accepts that oil before doing that. *Gasoline oil and
there are obvious safety issues involved.

* much used oil has added water, gasoline, and
metals along with many other compounds in it,
i wouldn't worry that a pint or two of gasoline
added to a drum of recycled oil will harm any
refinery.

I would find a neighbor or friend who could use it.

* that would be optimal.

* otherwise recycling it would be fine.

The state of California, for one, would beg to differ:

http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/usedoil/Recycle.htm

"What About Contaminated Oil?

Certified center managers will not accept used motor oil that has been
contaminated with other fluids such as antifreeze, solvents, gasoline,
or water. So please, don't mix your used oil with anything. However,
if your used oil accidentally gets contaminated, your certified center
manager can tell you where to take it for proper disposal.
Alternatively, you can get information from your local government
contact about how to deal with your suspected contaminated oil."