Old 09-07-2013, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Michael Bell Michael Bell is offline

Default Taking cutting of alder

In message
Chris Hogg wrote:

On Sat, 06 Jul 2013 05:46:29 GMT, Michael Bell
wrote:

In message
Michael Bell wrote:

In message
David Hill wrote:

On 26/05/2013 08:47, Emery Davis wrote:
On Sun, 26 May 2013 07:26:28 +0100, Michael Bell wrote:

I know what you are saying, but setting that aside, there really ought
to be a way of taking cutttings from trees of any kind and that is the
question I asked.

Not all trees can be grown from cuttings. For many Japanese maple
cultivars, and several maple species, it is virtually impossible. Some
work at a low percentage rate, then are liable to fail suddenly. Others
are viable at a commercial scale, and there are now a few nurseries
propagating them in this manner, even though some are leery of their long
term health.

Assuming you are attempting to propagate A. glutinosa, here is what Dirr
and Heuser have to say in "The Reference Manual of Woody Plant
Propagation."

"CUTTINGS: Cuttings (no time given), wound, 8000 ppm IBA-talc, rooted
64%. Without treatment there was no rooting. In general, this species is
produced from seed, however, two notable cutleaf selections, 'Imperialis'
and 'Laciniata', can be rooted successfully. Mid-July cuttings of
'Imperialis' rooted 34% in 7 weeks when treated with 5000 ppm 2,4,5-TP
and 58% with 5000 ppm 2,4,5-TP plus Rootone. Late June 'Laciniata'
cuttings rooted 34% in 7 weeks with a wound and 8000 ppm IBA-talc plus
thiram, mist. Another report noted 'Imperialis' rooted easily from
softwoods when treated with 3000 ppm IBA-talc."

Other information is offered on grafting and tissue culture, several
Alnus
species are covered.

Dirr and Heuser is a standard horticultural reference that should be
available at any decent university library, and many public libraries.
May I suggest that use of the literature would be a good idea given how
long your experiments are likely to run.

Good luck,

-E

I've now got this book and a mist propagator and "Strike" (Bayer),
which I suppose is the European standard rooting powder, and a mist
propagator, and I am ready to go, but what exactly does "wound" mean?

Might it mean a single scratch down one side of the stem, or simply
the stem cut at a shallow angle, so it has a lot of exposed surface?

Michael Bell

You do realise that sod's law will have it that just as you've solved
the problem of feeding the world with alder seed, along will come
another pathogen to go with Dutch elm disease, sudden oak death, ash
dieback etc., that will wipe out the entire alder population!

I'm well aware of it. But no crop is immune from the risk, wheat,
rice, banana.... What seems to give wheat and rice some kind of safety
is that they are so widespread that every possible new pathogen has
been given a chance to get out into the wider world, and either hasn't
done so, or a counter-measure has been found. To spread our risks must
be worthwhile.

Michael Bell