Old 03-08-2013, 03:39 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Willshak Willshak is offline

Default First Ride-on (AL-KO) - Will I be able to get parts?

YP1 wrote:
Well I made some enquiries with the parts guts at the Al-ko distributors
today and going by the serial number it sounds like its actually a
rebadged Murray rather than an Al-ko. Not a bad thing in It's own right
other than Murray were bought out by Briggs and now parts for all the
old mowers have been discontinued. Apparantly.

So I'm still pondering. The mechanics seem really simple. Just a couple
of belts driving the cutter and rear differential plus the gear box
which is the part that worries me. Only because I know 1st gear is
tricky when cold.

He wants £500 and will deliver for that price. Came down from £650.
Knowing what I do now about parts I'm inclined to revise my offer
downwards again.

Maybe a brand new bottom of the range Mountfield for £1200 is money
better spent? Although money not necessarily available!

That grass catcher is worth about US $300 alone (£ 196.)
A google search will bring up tons of places selling Murray Parts.
My Murray garden tractor with an 18 HP B&S twin cylinder engine is about
20 years old and looks like crap.
I've only had to replace belts, 2 pulleys, and of course blades.
I use it year round. In the Winter I have a front mounted 46" wide snow
thrower that will go through a foot of snow. I don't think you would see
that much snow in GB, though. :-)

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY