Old 26-04-2003, 06:08 AM
Christopher

Default Snail Control

Predatory ghost shrimp? what do you people have? I had a guppy in a 20g with
50+ ghost shrimp. Guppy is just fine, how much smaller than a guppy can you
get?

"LeighMo" wrote in message
Also, I have a large ramshorn snail I'd like to keep and
hundreds of MTS that I would really like to keep (I think the population

is
healthy enough that It would be hard to get rid of them, though.)

Not a Columbian ramshorn, is it? The ones that get to be 1" or bigger?

They
are terrible plant-eaters.

1) Lots of ghost shrimp. Will these eat snail eggs?

They will eat snails. But not enough to control the population. They can

also
be quite predatory with small fish.

2) Some kind of small loach. I'm having a hard time finding specific
references to non-clown loaches abilities to do this. How are kuhlie
loaches?

Kuhli loaches will eat snails. Loaches in general do a great job on

snails.
Unfortuantely, they won't just eat the pond snails. They can even kill

snails
much larger than themselves.

4) Any other ideas? I'm open to anything.

You could try trapping them. Bait them with a slice of zucchini or

lettuce
leaf in a jar.

Or you could just live with the pond snails. If you don't mind ramshorms

and
MTS, why not pond snails, too? IME, they don't do any harm, and are

terrific
algae eaters.

Leigh