Old 18-08-2013, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Graham Harrison[_2_] Graham Harrison[_2_] is offline

Default Good reliable source of bird seed

"Broadback" wrote in message
I am looking for a good quality source of bird seed on line, in particular
for finches, as my local shops do not seem to stock that.

www.brinvale.com

Order Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday it arrives next day by Parcel Force.
Friday/Saturday/Sunday usually arrives Tuesday.

"My" finches (Bull, Green and Gold) seem to like Sunflower Hearts. Took
them a while to latch on to Nyjer (your spelling may vary!) but it now gets
eaten pretty quickly although it does seem to be 2nd preference despite most
shops and books suggesting Finches love the stuff. I use one of these
(first seller I came across tonight)
http://www.monsterpetsupplies.co.uk/...FRMRtAodKFsAow
and it seems more successful than some of the more conventional feeders.
Tits will eat almost anything. The winter Starlings that live on the
Somerset Levels (10 miles away) eat almost anything and can be a bit of a
nuisance. I have yet to find a mixed seed that (a) never gets dropped and
(b) doesn't then germinate to some degree but the "Little Brown Jobs" hoover
most of that up along with Crows, Jays, Magpies, Blackbirds, Pigeons, the
occasional Thrush and Collared Doves. That said the Brinvale stuff seems
better than others for minimising mess. The Woodpeckers makes straight for
the peanuts.

The Robins mostly ignore the food but I spotted one early this year that
seemed to have cottoned on to using a feeder.