Old 19-08-2013, 02:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Harvesting winter squash

Dan Musicant said:

Well, one question I have is this: Since the plants, for the most part,
seem unable or unwilling to produce new growth, at what point can I
remove the kabochas from the vines? I understand that they will ripen
more (I harvested the bulk of my crop on August 15 last year because a
squirrel was attaching them, and although they looked great, a great
many of them were not nearly mature and were a disappointment... not
deep orange inside and not very sweet).

Is it being on the vine (even a seemingly almost dead vine) that matures
them or is it just sitting around, perhaps being in the warm sun?

It's being on the vine that gives them sweetness, though it is possible
for them to 'ripen' (in terms of color) a bit once they are off the vine.
I've picked butternuts that still show a bit of green and they will

Are there any signs of life to the vines? I know my squash vines tend
to senesce when they set a few fruit, but late in the season will push out
some new growth (even a few more doomed flowers). Then it might
be best to try to keep them on the vines, until the vines are completely
dry and dead.

Could you rig up some protection for the fruit (say, surround them with a
cage of chicken wire)?

When
can I pick them, and if I do pick them before I'd like to (i.e. mid to
late October, it does not freeze here), should I leave them outside in
the sun (I have a patio table I could leave them on that a squirrel
cannot access.

That's the ideal practice even for fully vine-ripened winter squash.
They should be stored for a while in a bright, warm place to 'cure'
before being put in a cool dark place for long-term storage.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored