Old 26-08-2013, 11:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Harvesting winter squash

Derald wrote:
phorbin wrote:

Except for the Cooper's hawk that hunts meat on the wing at our
neighbour's bird feeders, the hawks are usually seen hunting in the
parks.

Can we infer that your neighbor essentially is baiting up hawk
prey? What a novel feeding program! A breeding pair of red tailed
hawks has nested in the back third of our "lot" for several years.
The birds visit a watering station that we maintain back there and
have been around long enough to be "familiars" and, although, they
occasionally exact their due from the local blue jay population, I
certainly wish they'd do more ;-) Perhaps I should install a
strategically located feeder....

I have seen attempts to encourage raptors in order to reduce rabbits. At a
community garden on an island that was mostly bush they put up (at some
trouble and expense) a roosting pole, that is a telegraph pole with a cross
bar at the top but no wires. There are plenty of kites and hawks in the
region but they were not interested in the pole. YMMV