Old 08-09-2013, 05:58 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Willshak Willshak is offline

Default Tru-Cut mower rehabilitation

User Bp wrote:
Hi all,

I'd like to rehabilitate a 25" Tru-Cut commercial mower and would
appreciate advice on one obscure and one not-so-obscure issue.

The obscure issue is tires: The original solid tires are worn smooth
and don't have much traction. OEM tires are expensive (~$160) and it
seems likely that pneumatics would work better. The wheelwell space
allows a 10.5" by 5.5" tire, absolute maximum. 4.10/3.50x4 tubeless
pneumatics are cheap, but 4 by 3 inch rims with bolt mountings are
hard to come by. Worse yet, an offset of about 1.25 inches is needed
to center the tire in the wheelwell. Go-kart rims come close, but lack
the offset. One could butcher the hubs and add spacers, but new bolt
circles will have to be drilled. Anybody got a better idea? The existing
hubs are 1.75" pilot diameter with a 4 on 2.625 (that's 2 5/8" BC).
Dual flanges are 1.25" inch offset from the wheel well center.

The non-obscure issue is the engine. It's a Briggs & Stratton model
130232 with a scored cylinder bore and worn out valve guides. Still
runs, but seems to burn oil about like a two-stroke. The local shop
says replace it with a Honda GX160. That's probably what I'll do, but
would be interested in alternative endings.

Oh, one other thing: Does anybody know where Tru-Cut puts the model
and serial number? There's a label on the handle which reads "Snapper
Tru-Cut" and the engine code dates to 1972. It's not certain the engine
is original (the mower is red, the engine bronze colored) but it's been
said Snapper did own Tru-Cut in the early 1970's. I've been over the
machine rather carefully and haven't found a model or serial number.

Thanks for reading!

bob prohaska

Google - "snapper tru cut commercial mower" (without quotes)
On the Google result screen, click on "Images" at the top.
See if yours is there.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY