Old 21-08-2013, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default Good reliable source of bird seed

On 2013-08-21 19:56:23 +0100, Jake said:

It's fascinating in a way that in different parts of the country,
birds seem to like different foods. Here bull, gold, green finches all
go for the hearts. Nyger just wasn't touched. There's even a spotted
woodpecker that prefers the hearts on the table to pecking at the
peanuts in the feeder (though other woodpeckers prefer the pecking).

Food doesn't stay long enough to go "unfresh". The feeders and the
table are cleared each day. In the summer, they only get replenished
once a day (my wallet can't take more). In winter, it's at least twice
daily.

Nothing eats Niger here, apart from squirrels, perhaps. A goodish sized row
of sunflowers have been planted in the field, so I'll be interested to see
what goes for the seed.

The Eden Project plants an allotment sized area with sunflowers. We were
there last September and it was mainly being eaten by green and goldfinches.