Old 25-08-2013, 03:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Taking cutting of alder

"Michael Bell" wrote in message
. uk...
In message
Chris Hogg wrote:

On Mon, 08 Jul 2013 22:51:27 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

On 08/07/2013 18:58, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 08/07/2013 14:09, David Hill wrote:

It means removing a narrow sliver down just one side of the cutting,
remove
the outer layer of bark but not going right through, its not an
exact
science and some experimentation is usually required to find what
works
best, same for mist units the settings that work best vary and also
change
during the year.

One thing you will find of huge benefit is to shade the mist unit
with thin
white polythene to prevent sun scorch

Try doing some other easy subjects as well as your Alders, that way
you will
know if the mist unit settings are ok but the timing for the Alder
cuttings
needs adjusting, or if the easy stuff fails the settings are wrong!

My mist propagotion unit is in shade on the north side of my house
(because of lack of space on any other side) so scorch is not a
problem. I have the settings on maximum wetness, and the first
cuttings went in on Friday, and they are still alive. Lacking advice
on what "wounded" meant I simply dipped the ends into rooting powder.
I wait to see what happens!

Michael Bell

Do you actually bother reading the replies?
you say "Lacking advice on what "wounded" meant"
Look at the first 2 lines of this post.
What don't you understand?

I think you owe the OP an apology. He posted on Saturday (6th) asking
what "wounded" meant. Charlie replied on Sunday. The OP replied early
today with "...and the first cuttings went in on Friday, and they are
still alive. Lacking advice on what "wounded" meant, I simply dipped
the
ends into rooting powder". So he had already made his first cuttings
on
Friday, before he asked what "wounded" meant.

Had the OP acknowledged Charlies reply, it would have been one thing but
he posted a day after he had done the cuttings, so he doesn't seem that
bothered about getting advice, remember that this has been going on now
for more than 2 years.

Some months ago I posted a link for him to some helpful YouTube videos
on grafting. He doesn't seem to have learnt much from them.

The solution seems to be along another line, to provide electric
heating, a 2 Kohm resistor fed by 24 volts and wrapped with 3 turns of
bubblewrap raises the temperature to 10 °C above ambient and then
callus grows. Full details will be published on this ng when
perfected.

Michael Bell

--

Michael, pleeasse give up the idea that that you can breed an alder seed to
feed the world.