Old 25-08-2013, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Battery-powered hedge trimmers

On 24/08/2013 15:32, Tim Watts wrote:
On Saturday 24 August 2013 14:00 David Hill wrote in uk.rec.gardening:

I have a petrol hedge cutter, but haven't used it much since I got my
Viking strimmer with hedge cutting attachment.
Having the longer reach, and a head you can adjust through a variety of
angles I find it much easier no lifting a weight overhead and holding it
there.
Not knowing how tall your hedges are, it's something to think about, not
saying you get a petrol strimmer but possibly something to think about,
most of the weight is taken on the shoulder strap.
David

I got one of these a couple of years back:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/7304280.htm

It is "adequate" - in my case it will trim about 50-70 linear feet of 4ft
high hawthorn (both sides and top). Fresh growth only and softer twigs upto
about 1/4"

The supplied 2 battery packs means I can get most of my hedge done in one
session.

It's weak compared to even a lightweight petrol trimmer, but it is:

1) Inexpensive;

2) No cables (a damn liability with a hedge trimmer of all things!)

3) Pretty light to handle.

4) Low hassle if you keep the batteries charged.

Warning - uses old style NiCd battery.

Look at the newer Bosch trimmers with a more modern Li-Ion battery, eg:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/1019911.htm

Could be better battery wise[1] but you'll need to check some reviews!

[1] I have a Bosch cordless screwdriver that uses the 10.8V LI-Ion battery
and it has been worked to death on a renovation job and the original battery
is still alive (it's a "Bosch Blue" pro tool rather than a "Bosch Green"
consumer tool, but I think the battery packs are the same.

Thanks Tim. Having looked at both, I am certainly more impressed with
the Lithium Ion batteries, so that will probably be the way to go. The
Bosch is a smart-looking tool, so I'll be looking closer at them. The
Bosch 54/20 36V looks quite good, so that's two to add to my short list.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London