Old 25-08-2013, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Battery-powered hedge trimmers

On 24/08/2013 20:56, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 12:52:37 +0100, Mike wrote:

Spider my next door neighbour has a battery pack one I think, that is a
battery which is in a pouch around her waist.

That is quite a good tip, a lot of the weight of a battery trimmer
will be in the batteries. The less weight you have on your arms and
having to wave about the better. Nice wide padded belt snug on your
hips will carry a lot more weight than you like on your arms. There
will of course be a cable from the pack to the cutter...

Thank you, Dave. Yes, I'm going to look into that type. I will Google
and see what the cable looks like.

TBH I'm not sure what the problem with the cable could be if you
route it well. Assuming cutter trigger handle in right hand, back to
front under right arm pit, round back of neck, front to back under
left arm pit then to a loop shoved under your belt in the middle of
yoru back. Slack enough not to restrict any movement and it'll follow
your arm well and leaving being behind you, out of the cutters way.

TAs you say, it oughtn't to be a problem if common sense is applied, but
people have accidents just the same.

Having used a push mower for years and finding it so much easier than
getting the mower out .. getting the cable out .. opening a window from
inside .. running outside to plug the cable in .. moving both around the
garden as I work, then reversing the process at the end of the job, I
find I am so much happier just carrying the very light mower out and
working straight away without any restriction (apart from not mowing
another stripe down my cat's back!), that I am loathe to invite another
outdoor cable to my menagerie of tools.

To come to the point, I will certainly look into a pocketed battery if a
reasonable sized one is available. Atm, I'm looking at 36V or so.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London