Old 26-08-2013, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Weeeeeeed!

On 2013-08-26 12:30:31 +0000, Martin Brown said:

On 26/08/2013 11:29, Sacha wrote:
Gardening Express are now selling 2 litre pots of nettles for those who
lives in towns and don't have enough wildlife in their garden. Only
£7.99 per pot. They're also selling buttercups and other 'weeds'. I

HOW MUCH!!

really have now heard it all and am going into the field to dig up
nettles and enable us to over-winter in the Caribbean!

Boggle?! Do think there might be a market for "nettle seed" with
townies? I could easily harvest a few kg with no bother at all!

Martin, I swear this is true. Two of us here had the "Is it 1st April?"
reaction.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening...-for-7.99.html

I didn't doubt you for a moment. I did marvel at the price and product!

Surely it isn't beyond their capabilities to bring home a piece of ripe
nettle stem and spread the seeds if they want some wild nettles. I leave
some in the wilder parts of my garden and field boundaries for
butterflies. Ditto nectar rich flowers like pink verbena, buddleia and
sedum spectabile which is just coming into flower now. The butterflies
need all the help they can get after last year.

Until this last weekend I had mostly seen cabbage whites but finally at
last a few peacocks and red admirals have appeared. Warm and sunny here
today which makes for a very pleasant August Bank Holiday.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown