Old 26-08-2013, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Battery-powered hedge trimmers

On 26/08/2013 12:57, Jake wrote:
On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 13:36:18 +0100, wrote:

All hedgetrimmed

Found the ad. Sit down. Its for a Stihl (or is that Steal perhaps). I
looked on the web and the cheapest price I can find for the backpack
battery is £640. Add to that a Stihl or Viking trimmer which will cost
upwards of £350 and you're away. So probably something for the
professionals.

The December 2012 issue of Amateur Gardening has a comparison of 6
different battery models (including a Stihl which takes second place
and has a belt battery option which I guess will be a lot cheaper). If
you can't get hold of a copy locally, and would like to read, I can
try a scan to the web and link from here.

Thanks, Jake. I'm most grateful to you for seeking out the ad but,
crikey, they are a bit pricey! If I chose to, I could afford them, but
it makes my Yorkshire wallet muscles sore to think about it. As you
say, they're probably professional models. No doubt the pros can claim
part of the cost against tax.

After you've gone to all that trouble, I feel rather guilty as I made a
decision today and asked RG to put in an order for the Bosch. I don't
recall the model number well enough, but its the one with the 54/20
blade and 36V battery. I sincerely hope it's going to be okay. I was
just struggling in the garden this afternoon and felt the need of a
decent bit of kit.

Nevertheless, I will take the time to suss out the Stihl and Viking
machines, even if it's only to marvel at the price tags!, and also
because you've gone to some trouble on my behalf to find them. Thank
you, I do appreciate it.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London