Old 27-08-2013, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Weeeeeeed!

In article ,
On 2013-08-26 23:52:40 +0100, David Hill said:

But dandelions are grown as a chicory substitute, blanched their leaves
are good in salad, and the root dried will grind down as a coffee
substitute

Absolutely. And I knew a family who great them in neat rows and used
the young leaves in salads. But as a £4 pot of plants. Pick one
gone-to-seed flower from someone's garden and blow the seeds around in
your own! Last year was a fantastic year for dandelions and this year
has been pretty good too.

They were almost certainly among the 60% of people who cannot taste
bitterness - for those of us who can, they are unbearably bitter.
The cultivated form (endive) has been bred to reduce that, as with
so many plants, but remains too bitter for many people.

But, if you like them, why not? I believe that most sow thistles
are edible, too, but the same applies.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.