Old 27-08-2013, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Timothy Murphy[_2_] Timothy Murphy[_2_] is offline

Default Non-flowering wisteria

Bob Hobden wrote:

Anyone got a secret cure for non-flowering wisteria?
I've tried strict pruning for 4 years.

They like, indeed require, full sun for at least a good part of the day to
flower well. Then they do require time to get big enough to flower, I
forget how many years it took ours to flower but it took it 5 years to
start to growing well and it was some years later before it flowered. That
was after I'd pruned it so it made flowering spurs.

Thanks very much for all the advice.
I ought to confess that the garden is in Italy (Tuscany)
which perhaps means I should not have asked here?
The two wisteria get more than enough sun,
and grow like wildfire, in fact have almost taken over our small garden.
One of the wisteria had climbed up a drain-pipe to the second floor,
but my wife pulled it down from that
as she was worried it would get to the roof and damage it.

So I guess the problem is due to bad pruning.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net