Old 28-08-2013, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stewart Robert Hinsley[_3_] Stewart Robert Hinsley[_3_] is offline

Default ID help request

On 28/08/2013 14:08, Malcolm wrote:

I've come across what amounts to a dense hedge of a shiny-leaved shrub
growing alongside a wall and ditch behind an old cottage in some
broad-leaved woodland here on Islay. The cottage is a former lodge to a
large house. The plant is robust, the stems are tough, and the average
height is 4-5 feet. The hedge runs for about 20 yards.

I've tried it on some local gardeners without success so have posted
some photographs and would be grateful for an ID.

www.indaal.demon.co.uk/shrub.htm

Thanks

Gaultheria shallon (Shallon or Salal). (I thought it was this from the
general appearance, and compared the fruits with images on the net for
confirmation.)

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley