Old 29-08-2013, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Strange dahlias

On 29/08/2013 13:58, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 12:44:56 +0100, (Peter
James) wrote:

Peter James wrote:

My wife raised some Dahlias from seed and gave a lot of them away.
My sister-in-law who was the recipient of some of the plants reported
back that one of the apparent dahlias had produced a plant she could not
identify.

Can some of the experts on this group have a look at the photos at:

http//www.flickr.com/photos/phredde

They certainly are not dahlias, and I am intrigued and would like to
know what they are.
The local Garden Centre couldn't identify them. We think they came out
of a packet of Thomson and Morgan seed.

Peter

Sorry a faulty link.

Should read:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/phredde

Peter

Thorn apple? See

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=536

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datura_stramonium

Doesn't say much for the garden centre staff, defiantly Thorn apple.
I remember one growing into a magnificient plant in one of the street
planters in the centre of Cardiff around 20 years ago
David @ a showery side of Swansea Bay