Old 29-08-2013, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Whats making these holes?

Got under my daughter's tennis court, made their set nearby and that was the
end of tennis.

Mike

"Jake" wrote in message ...

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 20:07:35 +0100, rbel wrote:

Before I saw the estimated width my immediate reaction was badger
scrapes. The spoil pattern is very similar to those I have seen, but
the width is more like 4 cms. Solitary bees and the green woodpecker
tend to make holes of the size you indicate but there is little or no
spoil pattern, usually just a small divot in the case of the
woodpecker.

Badger? A relatively isolated bit of disturbance. This pic is of one
night's activity by one badger. The area extended to about 25 square
feet.

http://www.rivendell.org.uk/gallerie...156&fullsize=1

--
Cheers, Jake