Old 30-08-2013, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Whats making these holes?

On 2013-08-29 22:53:26 +0100, Charlie Pridham said:

"Jake" wrote in message
On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 20:07:35 +0100, rbel wrote:

Before I saw the estimated width my immediate reaction was badger
scrapes. The spoil pattern is very similar to those I have seen, but
the width is more like 4 cms. Solitary bees and the green woodpecker
tend to make holes of the size you indicate but there is little or no
spoil pattern, usually just a small divot in the case of the
woodpecker.

Badger? A relatively isolated bit of disturbance. This pic is of one
night's activity by one badger. The area extended to about 25 square
feet.

http://www.rivendell.org.uk/gallerie...156&fullsize=1

--
Cheers, Jake

Your picture shows why I don't think its Badger, not enough damage!

No green woodpeckers here either. Looking at a few Google images, it
seems very possible it's a hedgehog scrape, especially at this time of
year. In which case, you're very lucky!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com