Old 30-08-2013, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Aspen 2-stroke mixture

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in
ll.co.uk:

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 16:02:26 +0100, David Rance wrote:

There's plenty of info on the web about claims for Aspen fuel so I
won't repeat it here. But what I'd like to know - is it worth it
bearing in mind that it costs more than twice what petrol does? Does
anyone here have any experience of it?

No experience but there is more than a whiff of smoke oil about the
web site. Lots of claims with no suporting evidence, clever use of
english particulary in the aspen v unleaded table.

I've never experienced unleaded "going off", thats with the strimmer
left over winter with half a tank full of mixed fuel. Starts no
problem and bear in mind the "strimming winter" up here is over 6
months long... This petrol going off stuff seems to come from the US,
their "gas" is different to our petrol.

I went to Coniston, Yorkshire last Feb. with a friend who wanted to buy a
BSA Bantam125 from the seller, and it struck up 3rd prod. That fuel had
been in that tank since 1952! 60 year old petrol. It can't be proved, but
the overall situation, and state of the bike suggested that it had been
there untouched for all these years

Baz

Why are the hydrocarbons in unleaded "harmful" but those in aspen
not? Below that line "20% less v 25% more" more or less in relation
to what?

The interesting one is last "25% more hydrogen/burns cleaner/less
soot production". That would imply a higher energy content so should
mean you use a little less but your engine would have to be tuned
correctly for this fuel to see that small benefit. And even then I
have my doubts as these engines are really rather crude.

The emissions table is useless what are the units for the numbers?
Are the health symptoms listed going to happen with the exposure
levels encountered doing a couples of hours strimming outside every
couple of weeks? It reads a bit like warnings you see for DHMO
(Di-Hydrogen Mon-Oxide).

They also assume that your engine requires 50:1, my strimmer is 20:1.
OK you can get the unmixed fuel but I don't see any great indication
that you need to check what your engine needs.