Old 31-08-2013, 12:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Outdoor tomatoes

"michael" wrote ...

I have a very large crop of outdoor tomatoes this year.I sprayed once with
Dithane and once with copper,and this seems to have warded of any blight
attack.
However with the exceptionally dry and warm weather maybe even these sprays
were not strictly necessary.
I wonder if anyone grows the same tomato in a greenhouse and outdoors,and
agree that whereas outdoor tomatoes have very good flavour,their skins are
rather tough
compared with the same varieties under glass.

I think it just depends on variety although outdoor Toms grown in allotment
soil might be better fed than pot grown greenhouse ones which may cause the
difference to skin thickness and taste.
Our little Losetto toms have done exceptionally well, we picked 9.5lbs on
Wednesday off 6 plants and it's a blight resistant variety. They have very
thin skins such that if you let them get very ripe on the plant they split
as you try to remove them.
Blight arrived here this week and killed all our Black Russian Toms as I
didn't spray this year at all. The Ferline, Fantasio and Losetto seem
untouched so far (all blight resistant).
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.