Old 01-09-2013, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Non-observant!

We take quite a keen interest in the wildlife around us and like to
think we're reasonably observant of what is going on in our garden.
About a week ago, I was woken, panicking, by terrific scrabbling noises
outside our bedroom window at about 4.30am. I jumped out of bed,
peered out, saw nothing, shut the window, back to sleep. Next morning,
I took a harder, closer look and where I had often seen what I thought
was just a rather dumb and dozy pigeon, sitting around being a pigeon,
there was a nest with two little heads poking out of it! They cannot
be more than 4' away from our opened window but they are in among some
quite heavy growth of a climbing rose and are well sheltered from
weather and predators, I would think. The babies now sit up and look
around all the time but seem unfazed by us opening or closing the
window, or walking past it and chatting to each other. I noticed
tonight that they're stretching and fluttering their wings, so I
imagine it won't be long before they leave the nest. I am still just
astonished that all this was going on so close to our noses and until
recently, we hadn't even seen it! Now we know why that irritating
pigeon spent so many mornings outside our window, making a helluva
racket.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com