Old 09-09-2013, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
thescullster thescullster is offline

Default Strawberry Behaviour

Hi all

One or two questions Elsanta strawberries.

Firstly, are new "runner produced" plants as good/strong as the parent?
Do the new plants inherit all properties e. g. disease resistance,
tolerance to drought or whatever?

My strawberry patch was looking a bit old and tired, so I am in the
process of relocating it. Last year, I took a small number of new
runner plants and established them in a new position in the garden.

What surprises me is that this year these new young plants have produced
runners galore, but the older plants have hardly produced any. Does
their interest in reproduction diminish as the plants get older? The
fruit yield on the old plants was very low as well, so maybe the plants
are just plain worn out?

Thanks

Phil