Old 09-09-2013, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Strawberry Behaviour

thescullster wrote in :

Thanks, Jake and Baz

Can you tell me how often you move the location of your bed(s).
ISTR that this was recommended once an area had supported strawberries
for a number of years.

Also, what ground preparation is recommended before planting
strawberries in new location?

Thanks

Phil

Jake is more savvy than I am on this but I think if you replace the plants
every 3 years, moving location does not matter. IMO and IME
For instance I am going to dig out my 3 year old ones and replace them in a
border on a south facing wall with their own, this years runners.

I will dig out the soil and replace it with compost from my heap, and new
soil from another part of the garden.(I think that is enough to prevent
pests and diseases) Bearing in mind this is a border, and not such a feat,
probably 8-10 barrows each way.
My second and third beds will be treated the same in subseq... years.(can't
spell that)

Last thing. Keep some runners. You might need some when others have none.

Cheers
Baz