Old 09-09-2013, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Plant ID please

On 2013-09-09 18:01:30 +0100, David Hill said:

On 09/09/2013 16:42, Sacha wrote:
We were given this today and all we know is it came from Greenway. It
is sprawling in habit and has quite a strong mint/eucalyptus scent but
leaves a pungent after-scent on the fingers when brushed by your hand. I
wonder if it's a strewing herb and doubt it would be a culinary one. At
first I wondered about wormwood but it's the wrong flower colour, though
that pungency is a bit reminiscent of Artemisia. If anyone knows what
it is, we'd be very grateful.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93694401@N03/9708230021/

Could it be a form of Penny royal?

The mint association would account for part of the scent but the leaves
aren't right from what I've looked up (though that's not definitive!)
The flower form isn't dissimilar, though it's not a perfect fit. The
'after scent' was probably a bit like Artemisia. As Mrs Christie was
given lots of different plants, or brought them back from abroad, it
*could* be from the Middle East where her husband often worked on
'digs', I believe. But that's just wild surmise on my part. She could
equally have bought it in Tesco for all I know!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com