Old 12-09-2013, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Plant ID please

On 2013-09-09 18:01:30 +0100, David Hill said:

On 09/09/2013 16:42, Sacha wrote:
We were given this today and all we know is it came from Greenway. It
is sprawling in habit and has quite a strong mint/eucalyptus scent but
leaves a pungent after-scent on the fingers when brushed by your hand. I
wonder if it's a strewing herb and doubt it would be a culinary one. At
first I wondered about wormwood but it's the wrong flower colour, though
that pungency is a bit reminiscent of Artemisia. If anyone knows what
it is, we'd be very grateful.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93694401@N03/9708230021/

Could it be a form of Penny royal?

Give that man a cigar! It is indeed a form of pennyroyal. I sent the
photo to Jekka McVicar and she's identified it as Mentha cervina, a
water plant or marginal. It's also an abortifacient so its tea
shouldn't be drunk by pregnant women. It's a great pleasure to have it
identified because most of us liked it very much, especially the rather
strong minty/eucalyptus scent and the very pretty blue flowers. Thank
you, David and all thanks to Jekka, too.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com