Old 22-09-2013, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Home grown veg. are the best

Broadback wrote in
:

On 20/09/2013 14:17, 'Mike' wrote:

We came to that conclusion years and years ago, that is why our
gardens are picturesque. When, and for how long, does a veg garden
look picturesque?

Mike

"Baz" wrote in message ...

But costly.
I have worked out that it would be far cheaper to buy from
supermarkets. The seeds cost next to nothing. (well mine do)
It is the manure and fertilisers, labour and pest control that cost
the most imo. Let alone failures.
I am not sure that I will continue growing some of the things I have
grown in the past.
I will always grow potatoes, tomatoes, peas, broad beans and runner
beans. They seem to be, for me anyway, reliable every year.

I wonder what others think.

Baz

I agree with you Baz, with slight changes. I remove tomatoes because I
am never successful with outdoor ones I remove peas, because of the
problem with supporting them (almost as difficult as supporting my
wife). Also I would add French beans, I grew them for the first time
this year, they were a great success. I also grow a few lettuce and
beetroot. That is now my lot!

Broadback, have you tried growing Gardeners Delight outdoor tomatoes? I
have never had total failure. We have had a couple of poor crops in the
past due to poor summers but we normally have them in "swarms"
It was a slow start this year but now they are bottled, juiced and frozen
and I bet I have given away 5kg this week alone - all from 16 plants. We
always plant too many just in case we get bad weather conditions.

This is getting long winded now, but please read on.

Pea "Hurst Greenshaft" is THE only pea that I grow. OK it is not a true
garden pea, it is marrowfat(whatever that means). When young they are
delicious and 10-13 peas per pod. Eat them raw.
You must soak them in tepid water for 24 hours before sowing.IME.
Forget sowing at 2" intervals, or 2" deep, sow them thickly and shallow.
I sow mine so the seed is nearly touching its neighbour at about 25mm
deep.
As a matter of fact, I will be sowing this variety in November to
overwinter, just a 3m double row to get early peas,before I sow them in
spring. Always works for me.

Baz