Old 23-09-2013, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Talking of cats ....

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 15:17:15 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme
wrote:

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 10:16:21 +0100, David Rance
wrote:

My wife was watching Countryfile on BBC1 yesterday evening. She said
there was a piece about animals that had suffered as a result of being
attacked by cats, and a hedgehog was one of them.

We both think it highly unlikely that a cat would attack a hedgehog and
get the better of it. Has anyone here ever come across a hedgehog which
is the worse for wear as a result of cat attack?

But certainly cats are very useful for keeping down the rodent
population in our garden.

David

I have seen a hedgehog being "pawed" by a cat. It just rolled up and
waited for the cat to get fed up of being impaled.

Our experience with several cats and hedgehogs is the same as yours.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

When had whippets one of them rushed back to the house with a hedgehog in
her mouth, completely unharmed and rolled up. I let it go safely.
My cat wouldn't dream of it. He ignores them, but is extremely useful
around the chicken house, catching young rats. A few weeks ago he caught 3
in a hour.
He admits the big ones are beyond him, but hey, catching the little ones
prevents them growing up.

Tina