Old 26-09-2013, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default September in Guernsey

On 2013-09-26 16:57:59 +0100, Baz said:

Sacha wrote in
:

On 2013-09-26 11:19:44 +0100, Baz said:

Sacha wrote in news:baia20F9keiU1
@mid.individual.net:

On 2013-09-26 00:24:27 +0100, Baz said:

Sacha wrote in news:bag9d2Frac1U1
@mid.individual.net:

On 2013-09-25 13:17:55 +0100, Sacha said:

There's something to be said for gardening in the CIs. This photo
was taken on Monday and from the size of that Brugmansia
insignis, it's been growing there for some time!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93694401@N03/9932237875/

Ahem, that should be Brugmansia sanguinea. Probably got a little
TOO relaxed on holiday! ;-)

As relaxed as a newt? (kidding)

Baz

Not *quite* but ..... ;-)

After a few pints of Randalls.....
....a person is entitled to feel *quite* relaxed.

Baz

Ah, good old Randalls! I think I should have got Ray to try the
Liberation Ale!

Sorry to say this, but that Liberation Ale tastes like winkle dew.
Le Mesurier houses were taken over by Liberation?
I remember La Motte pub on the corner of La Motte street and St.Saviours
road. The Devonshire on first tower. The Bond on Bond street, Wolf's caves
in St.John. All gone now. I think Devils Hole too.

All memories now.
Baz

Ah, that's Jersey. I've also lived there as an adult and was born
there. But this time we were visiting Guernsey for a few days, where
my mother and stepfather bought a house in 1956. I grew up mainly in
that island. Devil's Hole itself is still there but I have no idea if
there's a pub near it. I've never tasted the Liberation Ale, so I can't
comment. ;-) It was moving back to Jersey in my early 30s that
really got me interested in gardening. My former in-laws had an
enormous garden which they'd made from fields surrounding their
property and they were extremely knowledgeable hands-on gardeners, too.
Pa in law was a member of the International Camellia Society and he
made a wonderful Camellia Walk in his garden and planted many more all
over the place. It gave me a lifelong love of Camellias and recently,
when I was asking Jennifer Trehane about one we have here, she said
that she remembered very well a trip she made to China with my in-laws
and other Camellia enthusiasts. He also got quite heavily involved with
the original planting at Jersey Zoo when Gerald Durrell started that up
and he was one of the first Trustees. Gardening in the CIs can induce
serious envy in others because the climate is (mostly) so benign and
things can be grown outside which are hovered and fussed over even in a
conservatory in UK! I remember that one wall was absolutely smothered
in Mandevilla suaveolens for years, until a rare bad winter carried it
off.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com