Old 27-09-2013, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default preparing soil for grass seed (weed killer)?

In article ,
says...

Good day all,

I've prepared an area of garden for sowing grass seed. Last time I did
this, I was surprised at how many weeds appeared along with the grass. Is
it a good idea to sprinkle some weedkiller onto the soil prior to sowing
the grass seed?

No, because any domestic weedkiller that works on bare soil will also
kill grass seed.

Next season when you start mowing, that will kill off any annual
weeds that germinated. Don't apply any weedkiller until after the new
lawn grass has been mown several times and is well established ( next
year), and if/when you do, read the instructions before purchase and
make sure you choose one intended for use on lawns.

Janet.