Old 28-09-2013, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
AL_n AL_n is offline

Default preparing soil for grass seed (weed killer)?

Sacha wrote in news:bamdfuF62a5U1
@mid.individual.net:

Alan, it may help your grass to get a headstart if you try my husband's
favourite method. He mixes compost and grass seed in a wheelbarrow,
puts the lot back into a compost sack and leaves it to start
germinating, then he sows it. Not only can you then see more easily
where you have sown, birds are less inclined to eat newly scattered
seed. This is easiest to do on comparatively small areas, of course
but if yours isn't huge, it might help you to try it.

That's an interesting technique!

What I did (this morning (while there was a lull in the strong winds!) was
to sow it dry, dippong my empty aerosol cap (which holds exactly 36g of
seed) and sprinkled in on, (sq mtr by sq mtr). Then I seived 2-year-old
home-made compost over the entire area, just enough to hide the seed. Just
as I finished, it started t rain! Perfect timing!! :-)

Al