Old 28-09-2013, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
AL_n AL_n is offline

Default preparing soil for grass seed (weed killer)?

David Hill wrote in news:bam6hqF4jvuU1
@mid.individual.net:

I should have said I'd give the weeds a couple of weeks to germinate
then knock them on the head with weedlo and sow the grass , (Stale seed
bed).
at least that way it will have a little less competition.

Thanks for the tips. I decided I didn;t want to wait any longer and sowed
the entire area this morning. I'll have to deal with the weeds when they
appear.

As you (and others here) seem to know a bit about lawn sowing, can I ask
another question?

The last area I sowed (using the same 'Eco Lawn' seed mix), a couple of
years ago, I think I sowed a tad too generously. The grass is a little more
dense that I'd like, making it harder to mow. Is there an easy way to thin
in out now?

If it was human hair, I'd use thinning scissors! ;-)

TIA

Al