Old 28-09-2013, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default looks to be a great year for mushrooms

On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 15:15:39 +0100, Malcolm wrote:

That is why there is a gradation of rules. There are some fairly simple
ones that will keep you away from the lethal species, with VERY high
probability. For example, there are no lethal boleti in the UK,

Hmm, I'm not sure I would want to eat B.satanoides and certainly not
B.satanus (aka Satan's or Devil's Boletus!). The clue is in the names,
perhaps

Around here the Satan is very rare indeed, although I have found one once
in nearly 25 years shrooming the area. But if you can't recognise this
one, you probably have no business eating wild mushrooms anyway. It's
pretty distinctive.

Found a big basket of hedgehog mushrooms (pieds de moutons) since the
first post, another one that's very safe. Today only a few cepes though,
it's still too dry even after the recent rains. Lots of B. piperatus
scattered around, but we left them. Lots of Macrolepiota procera
(lepiote elevee) this morning too, but I think I'll pick them tomorrow
for lunch.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy